Rethinking the future of the university /
This distinguished collection of essays, edited under the direction of David Lyle Jeffrey and Dominic Manganiello, emerged from the discussions that surrounded the 1995-1996 McMartin Lectures. Dedicated to studying the relationship and contributions of historic Christian thought to the intellectual...
Ottawa [Ont.] :
University of Ottawa Press,
Table of Contents:
- Part 1. Where did we come from?
- The original idea of the university / B. Carlos Bazan
- Newman, theology and the contemporary university / George M. Marsden
- part 2. Where are we now?
- The politicization of the university and its consequences / Jean Bethke Elshtain
- Can humane literacy survive without a grand narrative? / David Lyle Jeffrey
- part 3. Where are we going?
- The future of teaching / Mark R. Schwehn
- The future of research / Roger Miller
- The future of the university : from postmodern to transmodern / Paul C. Vitz
- Will technology save us? / Dominic Manganiello.