Narrative of the life of Frederick Douglass, an American slave /
A new edition of one of the most influential literary documents in American and African American history Ideal for coursework in American and African American history, this revised edition of Frederick Douglass's memoir of his life as a slave in pre-Civil War Maryland incorporates a wide range...
New Haven :
Yale University Press,
Table of Contents:
- Introduction / John W. Blassingame.
- Narrative [of the life of Frederick Douglass].
- Historical context: The doctrines and discipline of the Methodist Episcopal Church in America : "Of slavery" (1798)
- Slavery defended from scripture, against the attacks of the abolitionists : excerpt (1842) / Alexander McCaine
- Walker's appeal to the coloured citizens of the world : excerpt (1829) / David Walker
- "Insurrection of the blacks" (1831) / Niles Weekly Register
- Extract from a discourse delivered before the New-York Society for Promoting the Manumission of Slaves (1797) / Samuel Miller
- Declaration of sentiments of the American Anti-Slavery Society : preamble (1833)
- "I have come to tell you something about slavery" (1841) / Frederick Douglass
- Bill of sale manumitting Douglass (1846) / Hugh Auld.
- Douglass and his contemporary critics: Review of the "Narrative" (1845) / Anonymous
- Review of the 'Narrative' (1845) / Margaret Fuller
- Review of the 'Narrative' (1845) / Maria Weston Chapman
- "Gleams of light" (1845) / A citizen of Maryland
- "To tell the public : falsehood refuted" (1845) / A.C.C. Thompson
- Letter to William Lloyd Garrison (1846) / Frederick Douglass.
- Scholarly assessments: The classic slave narratives : excerpt (1987) / Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
- Gender-related difference in the slave narratives : excerpt (1994) / Winifred Morgan
- To tell a free story : excerpt (1986) / William L. Andrews
- From behind the veil : excerpt (1979) / Robert B. Stepto.
- Afterword / John R. McKivigan, Peter P. Hinks, and Heather L. Kaufman.
- Four Maryland families
- Historical annotation to the narrative.