The new H.N.I.C. (head niggas in charge) : the death of civil rights and the reign of hip hop /
When Lauryn Hill stepped forward to accept her fifth Grammy Award in 1999, she paused as she collected the last trophy, and seeming somewhat startled said, "This is crazy, 'cause this is hip hop music.'" Hill's astonishment at receiving mainstream acclaim for music once deem...
New York :
New York University Press,
Table of Contents:
- Who we be: introducing the new H.N.I.C
- No time for fake niggas: hip hop, from private to public
- Brothas gonna work it out: hip hop's ongoing search for the real
- Can't knock the hustle: hip hop and the cult of playa hatin'
- Head nigga in charge: Slick Willie, Slim Shady, and the return of the "white negro"
- Epilogue: where's the love?