Why would anyone do that? : lifestyle sport in the twenty-first century /
Focusing largely on triathlon and "extreme" mountain biking, sociologist Stephen C. Poulson offers a fascinating exploration of the new lifestyle sports, shedding light on why people find them so compelling. Drawing on interviews with competitors, on his own experience as a participant, an...
New Brunswick, New Jersey :
Rutgers University Press,
|Series:||UPCC book collections on Project MUSE. Global Cultural Studies.
Table of Contents:
- Preface and Acknowledgments
- Introduction. Why Would Anyone Ride a Mountain Bike in the Middle of the Night?
- Chapter 1. Social Life and Sport
- Chapter 2. Looking for Adventure, Looking for Authenticity
- Chapter 3. Disciplining Bodies in Lifestyle Sport
- Chapter 4. Types of Lifestyle Athletes and Team Touch of Grey
- Chapter 5. Resistance to Discipline in a Cycling Community
- Chapter 6. Why So White?
- Chapter 7. Where Are the Women?
- Chapter 8. Conclusion
- About the Author.