Designs on the public : the private lives of New York's public spaces /
Kristine F. Miller delves into six of New York's public spaces, including Times Square, Trump Tower, and Sony Plaza, to trace how design influences their complicated existence. Design is, in Miller's view, complicit in regulation of public spaces in New York City to exclude undesirables an...
University of Minnesota Press,
Table of Contents:
- Public space as public sphere : the front steps of New York's City Hall
- Art or lunch? redesigning a public for Federal Plaza
- Condemning the public in the new Times Square
- Bamboozled? access, ownership, and the IBM Atrium
- Targeted publics and Sony Plaza
- Trump Tower and the aesthetics of largesse
- Epilogue : after 9/11.