When baseball isn't white, straight and male : the media and difference in the national pastime /
"This book analyzes how sportswriters discuss issues of race, ethnicity, nationality, sexual identity, age, and class within professional baseball from 1998 to present. Each chapter looks at the media representations of a specific controversy ... as well as incidents involving performance-enhan...
Jefferson, North Carolina :
McFarland & Company, Inc.,
Table of Contents:
- 1. Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and the politics of race and nationality
- 2. "Out" on the field: homosexuality and our national pastime
- 3. The $25 million man: Alex Rodríguez, objectification and money
- 4. Effa Manley and the politics of passing
- 5. Barry Bonds and the pursuit of dap
- 6. It's the end of the world as we know it: race and forgiveness in the era of performance-enhancing drugs
- 7. Who are we celebrating, anyway? Major League Baseball and the honoring of Jackie Robinson.